Motor Vehicle

Bonnie Shirley
Phone: (970) 824-9104
Fax: (970) 826-3413
Hours: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm


Department Functions

The Moffat County Motor Vehicle Department is responsible for titling, vehicle registration, and issuing license plates.



All motor vehicles and trailers owned or operated by Colorado residents must be titled and registered within 60 days of purchase or 30 days after becoming a resident of Moffat County. Colorado residency is established if you own or operate a business in Colorado, reside in Colorado continuously for 90 days or you obtain employment in Colorado. Proof of insurance is required at time of registration along with secure and verifiable identification. A letter of authorization or a corporate resolution to borrow/grant collateral letter granting permission for the agent to act on behalf of the company and the agent's secure and verifiable identification information are required for any business to complete a new registration transaction.

Motor Vehicle Forms

Temporary Permits

Temporary permits are issued as a temporary motor vehicle registration for up to 60 days. This gives the seller time to complete transfer of ownership documentation. The purchaser must show the original title, which has been transferred to them or a bill of sale to obtain a permit.

After Hours Purchase CRS 42-3-115(2)(b)

  • A buyer of a vehicle may operate a vehicle on the highway prior to registering the vehicle when: 
  • The buyer has purchased the vehicle within the last 36 hours from a person who is not a licensed motor vehicle dealer.
  • The vehicle was purchased either on a Saturday or a Sunday, on a legal holiday or any day between 5 p.m. and 8 a.m.
  • The vehicle is being driven from the place where the seller stored the vehicle to the place where the buyer intends to store the vehicle.

The buyer must carry in the vehicle:

  • A bill of sale that shows the time and date of sale and is signed by both the buyer and the seller.
  • Proof of insurance.

Bill of Sale in PDF Format

Persons With Disabilities

Handicapped Sign

The State of Colorado issues license plates and placards to qualified persons with disabilities to park in reserved parking spaces. To be considered disabled and eligible for persons with disabilities license plates and/or placards, the applicant must meet one of the criteria below and have it verified in writing by a Medical Professional*.

  1. Mobility: Persons who cannot walk two-hundred feet without stopping to rest.
  2. Assisted Mobility: Persons who cannot walk without the use of, or assistance from, a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair, or other assistive device.
  3. Respiratory: Persons who are restricted by lung disease to such an extent that the person forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for one second when measured by spirometry is less than one liter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than sixty mm/hg on room air or at rest.
  4. Oxygen: Persons who use portable oxygen.
  5. Cardiac: Persons who have a cardiac condition to the extent that the person functional limitations are classified in severity as class III or IV according to the standards of the American Heart Association.
  6. Other: Persons who are severely limited in their ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition.

*Medical Professional means a physician licensed to practice medicine or practicing medicine pursuant to section 12-36-106(3)(i), C.R.S., a podiatrist licensed under article 32 of title 12, C.R.S., or an advanced practice nurse registered pursuant to section,13-31-111.5, C.R.S.

Download a PDF Application for persons with disabilities parking privileges here.

Keep Colorado Wild Parks Pass

The Keep Colorado Wild Pass is an optional lower-cost annual state parks pass that will be included in your vehicle registration through the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV), unless it is declined. It will cost $29, which is less than half the cost of an annual vehicle park pass — which is currently $80. The pass cannot be transferred to a different vehicle or a new vehicle. https://dmv.colorado.gov/keep-colorado-wild-frequently-asked-questions-faqs

Special Mobile Machinery

Under Colorado state law, all special mobile machinery, mounted equipment, office trailers and self propelled construction equipment must be registered in the County where it is located. Equipment that is operated on or carried over public streets or highways to a work site must be registered with the County Clerk so current proof of taxes paid is visible to law enforcement agencies. Other equipment must be listed with the County Assessor for the collection of personal property tax.

An information worksheet will need to be completed for each piece of equipment being registered. If the equipment that is being registered is owned by a company, our office will also need a contact sheet completed and a letter of authorization, on the company letterhead, for each person that will be transacting business for the company.

Failure to register SMM may result in the assessment of a late fee, and administrative penalty and/or detained or impounding of the machinery with the Colorado Port of Entry.

Download SMM Registration Requirements and Worksheet in PDF format here.


Temporary Registration$7.66
Duplicate Title$8.20
$5.00 per page 8 1/2 x 11 and 8 1/2 x 14
$10.00 per page over legal size
RegistrationBased on year, weight and taxable value of vehicle

Vehicle Late Fees

Colorado Senate Bill 09-108, an increase to vehicle registration late fees, will become law on June 1, 2009, The new law requires a late fee assessment of $25.00 per month for every month past the grace period up to a maximum of $100.00.,

Trailers are only assessed a $10 Late Charge Fee.

The new late fees apply to expired registrations, temporary permits and vehicle owners who move to Colorado from out of State and do not register their vehicles within 90 days of residency.

Sales Tax

Sales tax is collected on the purchase price of the vehicle. This is based on where the vehicle is purchased and where the buyer lives. Sales tax fees are as follows:

  • 2.9% State Tax
  • 2% County Tax


  • Buyer lives in City of Craig and buys in Craig - 4.9%
  • Buyer lives in County and buys in Craig - 4.9%
  • Buyer lives in City of Craig and buys in County - 4.9%
  • Buyer lives in City or County and buys out of County or State - 2.9%
  • Buyer lives in City or County and leases - 4.9%

Off-Highway Vehicles

Senate Bill 13-280, "Titling Off-Highway Vehicles (OHV)", effective July 1, 2014, creates the ability for Off-Highway Vehicles and Snowmobiles to be titled. Senate Bill 13-280 applies only to titling of OHV, registration of OHV is still completed through Colorado Parks and Wildlife. For more information regarding OHV registration, see the Parks and Wildlife site.

OHV documents needed to obtain a Colorado title are as follows:

  • Manufacturer Certificate of Origin (MCO)/Manufacturer Statement of Origin (MSO). Or
  • Certificate of Title or
  • Current Colorado Parks and Wildlife Registration (Registration Card, 60 day Temporary Registration &, Record Print is acceptable from Colorado Parks and Wildlife or any State Park. No temporary 60 day permits).